Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Read, read, read....Did I mention you should be reading?

Just so that you feel like you're in 11th grade English again, I thought I would use today's post to motivate you to read more.

Reading should be a part of our daily lives. I know, I know...to some of you that sounds really b-o-r-i-n-g. I was right there with ya until a year and a half ago. What changed it for me wasn't that I just found some entertaining books to read that were on the New York Times best seller list, but instead, it was pointed out to me how much there is to learn and apply to our lives today by reading the classics that were written before the New York Times even existed! And they are far from the dreaded "b" word (boring).

Two that I suggest you start with are: The Secret Garden or A Little Princess, both by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Pick one, read it, and let me know what you think.

The other issue with reading that you might, and I actually still, struggle with is finding the time to actually get through a book. If I don't intentionally set aside time, it won't get done...which is actually true about anything. We set aside time for the things that are important to us.

Remember the daily planning I talked about yesterday...use it to schedule yourself some reading time, even if it's only for 15 minutes. And you'll be surprised the pockets of time you have during the day to read that you didn't even realize were there. When my kids are in dance class or piano lessons, I read. While waiting at the doctor's office or pharmacy or any other times throughout the week where you are having to wait you can use that time to read (it actually makes the waiting go by so much faster too, which is always a plus). Make it a habit to carry the current book you are reading with you every time you leave the house.

I encourage you to make reading important for the next two weeks and see if you don't get hooked. And once you are hooked, your kids will soon follow. I am a living testimony to that fact. But, I'll save that topic for another post on another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment